Sunday, January 31, 2016

Planning a play space

I'm sure I've mentioned that I love the idea behind Montessori play. I love the independence and the simplicity. I also love how it helps over stimulated children find a plumb line of peace. 

A huge aspect is wood toys, wood puzzles- no flashy lights, sirens & sounds.  I've done a great job of collecting way too many toys for the little lumberjack to grow into. Part of this method is to keep the amount of toys available pared down to a very minimal number. These items are rotated out on a regular basis, some sooner than others. 

So, imagine my joy when my daughter sent me a link to our church swap site for a Melissa & Doug wooden tool bench! I showed the lumberjack the picture and he offered to go get it. It was a major score. $20 cash and it retails for almost $100. I hate spending retail on anything! So Papa brought it home and I swear it has magnetic abilities. It drew baby lumberjack to it and he was stuck there, playing with the hammer, saw, screwdriver & wrench for a couple hours. Baby lumberjack has never done that before. 

Above are the images that the seller put on the swap. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere how to remove ink from anything, probably on Pinterest. So, I wasn't bothered by the ink scribbles. However, after realizing that there isn't a stain or varnish, I've decided to lightly sand it. 
I think that this might find itself living in the barn quarters. A special little something to play with when everyone else is using big tools. 

I've been thinking a great deal about Montessori shelves in the livingroom. I think I might use them as a room divider of sorts. Perhaps around the back & sides of the couch. I also plan to have some set up where he has a few toys to play with on the covered porch. The majority though will be stored on shelves in the basement to be rotated in and out. 

Just a few more days to go! 
Still packing, purging & cleaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment