Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Baby Lumberjack's New Lair

One of the best things about moving to the farm is that baby lumberjack will be transitioning to his own bed, in his own room. Roughly 2 years ago, when I was about 5 months pregnant we set up the nursery. The nursery had a beautiful crib and a full sized bed in which I could crash during those first few months of nursing every couple of hours. About this time, I came down with something that resembled whooping cough. I simply could not kick it and being pregnant I couldn't take anything for it. I ended up loosing about 13 weeks of my summer. I was miserable. As a consideration to the Lumberjack, who works in one of the most dangerous industries in the world, I moved out of the master bedroom so he could rest at night.

Fast forward to when baby lumberjack was born. He is a very light sleeper and would wake every 2 hours for feedings. Somewhere along the way, I ditched the crib because it was valuable real estate space. I remained in the room. When he turned 8 months old, desperate for a full night of sleep I attempted to move back into the master bed. Baby lumberjack was having none of that. So here I am, he is nearly 15 months old and I have decided that this child of my womb is getting his own space and I am going to get a full nights rest. I have not slept an entire night in exactly 24 months.

So, the Lumberjack, always swayed by my female charms agreed to a sleigh toddler bed. He promptly picked it up and it has been placed where the crib used to sit.














Now that baby Lumberjack is getting his own lair, I decided that maybe we should upgrade from his giraffe nursery, even though I absolutely adore his accessories, and get something a bit more toddler like. It just so happens that both myself and the beautiful one with healing hands bought this fantastic fabric at JoAnn's this Christmas. When I opened the fabric package up, it was a total confirmation that this was the direction the nursery was going. I should also add here that we are doing the Montessori method with little lumberjack. We encourage simplicity and experience. His little den will have his bed, some art work placed at eye level,  an area for self care, and a toy shelf that contains 6-8 sturdy wooden toys/puzzles to encourage quiet play. He will also have a couple small shelves that hold his books. That is it. Nothing more. Baby lumberjacks den is the only room in the house that doesn't need painted once we move. It is a light sage green color and would really clash with the brown and cream/orange of the giraffes. However, this new fabric is going to look fantastic!








Reality says that I should go ahead and pack up all of my sewing supplies. Desire says I might actually eek out a little bit of time between now and then to work on this sewing project.

I love sewing. I taught myself how to do it this last year and have enjoyed every single minute. I just can't seem to find enough time in my days to do it as often as I would like. More than likely I won't see a single hour to even create a pattern between now and moving day.

The grand plan is to make a Duvet cover that fits over his very beautiful quilt that my best friend made him in celebration of his birth. It's nice and thick, cuddly sort of blanket. This fabric is flannel. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Most importantly... It's lumberjacks! I am seriously considering one additional item in his room for decoration. It's a cast lumber truck that I found on the Hobby Lobby website. It matches this truck almost to perfection. This checkered flannel I will use on the back and will also use in the coordinating pillows. I probably will also make matching sheets.

One of the best stress relievers I have found so far has been dreaming about what could be. Remember, the Lord spoke to me about how this home was a blank canvas on which I can write my life.

It's so good to dream again.

19 more days to go!~
 

No comments:

Post a Comment