Thursday, January 14, 2016

Paperwork Push

I am almost embarrassed to make this post. However, if someone else out there might gain some self love back by hearing that they are not alone, then writing this is worth it.

Papers! We all have lots and lots of papers that come into our homes. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if there wasn't email? I have friends who are totally and completely on top of this. Me on the other hand, yeah, not so much. Because we own a businesses almost every single bit of paper must be kept for accounting and taxes or some kind of formal record. Not only do we generate a great deal of paper ourselves taking note, making plans, doing budgets and running reports, we also have a gross amount that comes via the daily mail. I do try to keep all mail in one place, by the front door and go through it regularly. Before baby lumberjack was born, I kept a trash can under a little table designated just for mail. When the great purge started, the table left, the trash can left and  my working system broke down. It's okay, as I knew this would only be for a season. Only thing about it? That season actually has lasted now longer than seven months. The time has come for me to process SEVEN months of paperwork! The good news is that I have almost all of my bill filing completed and orderly. The bad news is that I really need to get stuff to the accountant that is helping me with books because these things have deadlines.

The lumberjack, in his kindness bought me one of those little Neat Desk receipt readers. These things are pretty cool, but they don't populate the fields like they claim. For now, it's one of the best products on the market for small businesses and it does keep a digital copy of all those receipts for easy recall. the down side is it will take more time to actually log every single receipt than it did actually to drive to the store and buy whatever was needed. Now, how's that for reality?

Once I have all the receipts scanned and entered, I can then pack away all the remaining of my office, which is my last holdout. The computers will be shut down, the printers, scanners and hard drives packed away. We will go mobile for a few days while making the final transition from home to home. I'm pretty sure that I am going to need a whole lot of coffee prayer and help over the next couple days as I whip these books into shape!

In other news, the appraisal STILL isn't back yet. We still have no concrete date for our move. We are locking our rate in today (3.75% which is excellent), finished some more paperwork underwriting requested, and the sellers of the farm asked if we wanted to close early... Which, while we would LOVE to, seems like an impossibility at this time.

I packed NOTHING today and I am okay with that. Bills are paid till the end of the month, my monthly planner is up to date, my notes have been updated, payroll has been calculated for this last year and the mountain of filing I had is barely nothing now.

I'm off to wash more laundry, pick up after the little lumberjack and find these people who know me as "mom", something to eat for dinner!

Roughly eleven more days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment