Tuesday, January 5, 2016

First Holidays

Today I got sucked into an article that was titled "How to cozy up your front porch". I took time to read the article and look at the pictures, all the while thinking about the opportunity to decorate my own front porch for each holiday season. Thinking of how I could make others feel welcome the minute they walk up those steps to my front door. Granted, my first few holidays at the farm will not be warm enough to spend much time, if any outdoors. Let alone worrying about how to cozy up the porch.







My mind still drifted to Valentines Day & St. Patrick's Day. My first two special days. If I am being at all honest, I will disclose that I haven't had the desire to decorate for any of the minor holidays in a long, long time. I don't know if it's because I have baby lumberjack or because I am just simply excited. Either way, I plan to full embrace it. I have one very small box of decorations. Once again, I assume that Pinterest will save me at the very last moment. While I would love to have something as festive and darling as this picture, I am a realist. Maybe I can find some cute Valentines Day fabric to wrap around some pillows and make a coordinating swag. Simple, easy and festive. After all, I will still be unboxing my earthly treasures.


Along the road of life I've let some of the small things that used to bring me joy and satisfaction slip to the way side. I have some how, in the busyness of life forgotten how to fully live.

Fully live.

I'm not really sure when I got burned out, but I did and my heart hasn't been in any holidays. One thing I am really counting on, living on the farm is a much slower pace to life. A pace in which I can fully live. When a lumberjacks wife and mommy to 5 birth children and 2 grafted in kids gets stressed out, it's not a pretty site. I owe my entire family the gift of a peaceful woman. I'm banking on the quietness of life ministering to my very soul. The breath of God bringing new life into these old bones and weary mind.

I am beginning to think there is a big deception about modern life. I am learning that my kids don't really have to be involved in every single activity under the sun. I bought into how it would make them well rounded people. Surely there is a way to be well rounded without being so weighed down with activities and obligations that you forget how to fully live.


I will have roughly 9 days from the sale of the little house till Valentines Day. In that span of time I will have to create a care package for the man cub that serves our country and make some decorations for the front porch. I see a great deal of construction paper in my future.

20 days to go!






No comments:

Post a Comment