Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Reality check...

Today was a good day! The Lumberjack was generous with his time this morning and went to local merchants seeking more boxes. This allowed for me to gather a few more important document for underwriting while the baby was being tended to by his part time nanny. I don't know if anyone can relate, but when the husband is home, he somehow always has most of my time and attention.

After securing the documents, I looked around and knew that it was time...

You see, one of my favorite little things to do is to sew. It gives me great pleasure to create something that is loved, with my own hands. I taught myself how to sew a little more than a year ago, on a whim and I haven't stopped since. It's one of the few things I have found that I can start and stop at a moments notice when little lumberjack needs me. Over the last year, my collection of sewing supplies have grown quite drastically. I'm not sure exactly how that happened, but it did. At Christmas, I was gifted a new machine that does embroidery. Unfortunately, I haven't really been able to spend much time playing with it. I managed to do a couple small projects to test it's ability and then had to lay it aside for the sake of moving. You know how we all have the best of intentions? Well, realistically I was really hoping that I could have a day or two to just sit and create some new things for the farm.

As I sat at my desk and looked over to my sewing area I realized that I needed a reality check. It hurt. Part of me was kicking and screaming as I stood up, grabbed a box and starting putting my precious possessions away. Both machines were packed, all the fabric secured for the move, even my new "toys" the kids bought me that I haven't even got to try yet were quietly and quickly packed away. My sewing table now lies barren. Today I am working on delayed gratification. I know in my heart that I would rather set up a sewing area than decorate the master bedroom. That won't serve my family well though. I have accepted the adult choice of taking care of business first. I know that when I finally get my special "me" area set up, I will be well pleased knowing that my heart is free to create.

Shortly after packing up one of my last remaining spaces, the owner of the moving company we are using showed up to do a walk through. Two trucks. We are going to need two trucks to move the big stuff. Wow. Just wow. Neither of his trucks are big trucks, in fact I think you can rent a truck bigger than his two trucks combined. Anything that doesn't fit in one of those two trucks will be left for us to move. When we counted out the number of items we are moving, it totaled 30. That's not so bad when you think about moving not only a house, but a business office too. To quote what a nationwide truck rental has on their website "Bigger families moving both in-town and one-way generally choose 26ft moving truck rentals as they are perfect for 4+ bedroom moves." I don't feel so bad now. We have a really, really big family and 4+ bedrooms. Granted, we will have to make several additional trips with our trucks and trailers. So much for thinking you are living a minimalist lifestyle. I blame the two executive desks and two deep freezers!

So here is our bucket list of items we simply can't live without and are now paying a small fortune to move:

  • Two beds (one queen and one full)
  • Four dressers
  • Three desks
  • Conference table
  • Two wood filing cabinets
  • Washer
  • Dryer
  • Two deep freezers
  • Chifferobe
  • Fridge
  • Couch
  • Dining table & Chairs
  • Two Lazy boy recliners
  • Four small Ikea shelves
  • Glass bookcase
  • Three rolling desk chairs
And for good measure, just in case there is room, five tropical plants that weight a million pounds each.

Doesn't seem like much when it's wrote down, but I'm over here shaking my head because we are going to need TWO trucks!

Until tomorrow, I am packing, taping, purging and praying.
Maybe 13 days to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment