Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Home is...

Tomorrow is the first of two big days. We head to the title company tomorrow afternoon. This is where we sign the papers that relinquish the ownership of our little home. This is more than my home, it's been the place in which I burnt meal after meal as a young bride, chased toddlers through the halls, bribed young sons to come down out of the tree tops, hosted an abundance of birthday parties, Christmaa Eve open houses, graduation parties. I have spent all of my adult life here in this little house, rocking babies and learning to love the lumberjack. One of the hardest things I think I will have done to date is say goodbye to the home that has been my refuge for so many years, through so many storms. If these walls could talk...

Two grown sons, two teen daughters and a plethora of adopted sons and daughters have called this place "Home". It's been their home base, the place that never changes, their sanctuary. As a mom I wonder how they are going to adapt to this change. 

I anticipate some very real emotions over the next days. Saying good-bye to the older lady behind us, who's always been "Grandma Dee" from the day we moved in. Saying so long to our friendly biology teacher, who in his spare time, helped my own kids learn amazing things. I'm even going to be a little wet eyed over saying goodbye to the young military couple that lives next door. In some ways, I worry about how each of them will get along with the new owners. Will they all still look out for one another?

I'm going to miss this place. Miss my gardens, my flowers, my kitchen cupboards, and the boards that sqeak in the hallway. I'm going to miss the reminders of moments that have passed. Miss having friends drop in unannounced. 
Today, I'm sad for all that I'm leaving behind, but ready for all that lies ahead. 

Home is where mama is, and love grows, and children laugh. Home is where children smile and friends feel safe. 

Home is blooming where you're planted. 



1 comment: